Classroom Adaptations for Students with Autism

The Autism Society in the Philippines is by far, to this humble teacher’s opinion, the most active society and support group for children with special needs specifically autism. They have several chapters around the nation and they are also very active both online and offline. Thus if you need more help in explaining the strategies listed below for children with autism, you can have a very good support groups such as ASP, Advocata and of course this website Special Education Philippines

Slow but Steady dreams Special Education Philippines

Slow but Steady dreams Special Education Philippines

Physical Classroom Adaptations You Can do for Students with Autism:

1. Create a learning environment in which the student with autism feels comfortable including a predictable schedule of daily activities, a pattern of events and class routines.

2. Use pictures to list the sequence of activities if the student is a nonreader and allow the student to order the sequence if possible.

3. Send home weekly or daily notes, short messages, or a journal that travels back and forth from you to parents.

Behavior Management to Promote Adaptation for Students with Autism

1. Teach students to wait their turn, share materials, and know ehen they need to be quiet and when they can talk

2. Teach them to use socially appropriate behaviors throughout the school day to help promote generalization of appropriate social behavior.

3. Develop behavior management plans based on an analysis of student preferences and classroom dynamics

4. Rewards successive approximations and work toward having students become more independent

Support Groups for the Teacher:

1. Establish and maintain effective communication with all individuals who are in contact with students with autism.

2. Communicate regularly with the parents

For all the stakeholders for the child with autism, communication and understanding is very important. I remember the 5th Principle in Stephen Covey’s Book, “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” which states that “we should seek first to understand then to be understood”. This concludes Special Education Philippines summary of the talk given by Dr. Lilia Bautista that covers the workshop topic “Can we teach a child with special needs (CSN) in the regular classroom?” where she also covered different exceptionalities such as ADHD, mental retardation, hearing disabilities, and at-risk students. In the next posts Special Education Philippines will be summarizing a very useful strategy provided to us by Mrs. Teresita P. Filiinia, Vice President of Advocata.

What do you think of the Classroom Adaptations for Students with Autism in this post? Share with us your thoughts below. :)

15 Comments  to  Classroom Adaptations for Students with Autism

1. jrplaza says:

I have a teacher who taught several students with autism before and I know what its like. You need to speak with his family about what methods work best for him. She had a student this past year that would run away a lot too.

He would avoid negative social interactions. she said, you need to speak calmly even when you are frustrated and never raise your voice. This gets you no where.

Another thing to try would be to give him rewards if he remains close to you and keeps an inside voice as best as possible. Stickers or other small prizes work well.

Please talk to his family first, thought. Good luck!

2. Jevelme says:

Children with special needs have need much attention especially to their teachers and parents. But thanks for this society for always helping those who needs help!

3. Franc Ramon says:

I like the quote saying that even if you’re slow, you are still far ahead for those who are afraid to try and student with autism can actually do well with proper guidance.

4. papaleng says:

Each student, be it a normal student or a CSN one has unique personality that a teacher should discover. This way, teacher/student relationship will foster. Grateful and glad to know there is this The Autism Society in the Philippines that is so involved in taking care of the needs of children with autism.

5. Gigi Beleno says:

Will refer the site to my friend who has an autistic child. I am not sure if she’s already aware of this support group.

I don’t have any idea nor experience in handling autistic children. But I would like to know success stories of these approach whether they are effective or not.

6. I do hope parents with autistic children will be able to read this post so that they will understand what their child is going through and will be able to guide, teach and support their child in his/her journey in life =)

7. We need organizations like Autism Society to better educate everyone about autism and information such as this which your site provides to help us do our part for this cause.

8. Mai Flores says:

Hello Ia! I’m not a teacher by profession. But I studied in a private school that taught Special kids too. My cousin, who happens to be a teacher there, would always tell us how to interact with kids with special needs. If I may quote, “we should seek first to understand then to be understood”.

As of writing, I also have a godchild who is autistic (Asperger). She has a very makulit mommy (single-parent). My cousin has given her advice countless of time na regarding sending the little girl (8 years old now) to a specialized school, ayaw pa din niya. She thinks putting her in a regular school will eventually make her normal. Biggest misconception, really. :(

9. claire says:

I will tell my friend about this group she has an autistic child. I’ll bet she will be interested with this. :)

10. Pal Raine says:

There are many things we can do to help children with autism, overcome their challenges. But it’s also important that parents should be there to support their kids. I am grateful that your group is doing this to HELP Autism Kids. Keep it up and God bless your group.

11. rc gweniful says:

I have a kid with autism and she’s studying in a regular school. she’s coping naman. in fact, matataas ang grades nya. she just needs to develop her social skills.

12. jsncruz says:

Hmmm this is new to me. I didn’t think autistic children needed a special learning environment (physically). Having read this, perhaps even as schools adapt to handle children with autism, parents should also try as much as possible to adapt the child’s home environment to help the kids out – like an extension of the schoolroom and vice versa.

13. che says:

I think every child is unique and has different needs and we just have to acknowledge these needs.

14. Anj says:

Hi Ia. I’m a mom of a 9 year old boy who was recently diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. I just discovered your blog and I want to congratulate you on the very important work you’re doing. We need to spread awareness about the special needs of these very special children. I will definitely visit your blog often. Please visit my blog too. I just started my blog in September, as an attempt to advocate for my son. My blog is called From A, To Zo. Thanks!

• Teacher ia says:

Hello Mommy Anj,

Thanks for being a louder voice for children with special needs. I visited your site and learned that you are a dermatologist too. I hope we can continue our conversation via email and maybe we can think of a project to help out more children who might benefit from your expertise.